Technical specifications:
Sensor touch screen e-ink display 6” 800 × 600 pixels
CPU ARM-11 double core 532 MHZ
RAM memory 128 MB
Built-in flash memory 512 MB
OS: LINUX
Dimensions: 4.7” X 7.4” X 0.3” ( 196 × 121 × 10,6 ММ ) weight 298 mg ( 10,5 OUNCES )
Formats supported: EPUB ( INCLUSIVE ADOBE DRM ) , PDF ( INCLUSIVE PASSWORD PROTECTED ADOBE 9.1 DRM AND REFLOW ) , TXT, HTML, RTF, MOBIPOCKET (NON-DRM), CHM, FB2, DJVU, PDB, JPG, PNG, GIF, BMP, TIFF, MP3. DOC, DOCX, Ppt (in other words a lot but PDF works the best).
What I liked:
- ONYX BOOX 60 comes with an elegant case (brown or white) made of artificial leather, very pleasant to the touch which really protects the device. It is a good idea to carry it in the case all the time.
- The sensor screen is activated only by the stylus ( it is Wacom technology ) so there is no danger that you can accidentally switch something on or off or delete a file by brushing the screen with your finger or a piece of cloth. Sensible solution.
- There are no sharp angles in the reader. The device can be easily held by one hand and is not too heavy (although rather heavier than others).
- All ereader settings ressemble computer interface and are easy to find and easy to use. Navigate the Linux proved to be far easier than any Microsoft product.
- reading really, truly doesn't make your eyes watery or tired after two-three hours! A huge advantage, compared to reading long texts on the computer/laptop screen, especially if you suffer from dry eye syndrome.
- there is a WiFi module with full power internet browser available
- a directional pad which looks like a scroll wheel at the bottom of the Boox 60 is really a good idea – simple, hassle-free, ergonomic.
- The stylus lets you handwrite notes and sketch. This function works fast and well, refreshing just the few pixels that you draw almost instantaneously rather than doing the entire screen. I am enjoying it very much.
- There is a memory cards slot for SD/MMC/SDHC UP TO 32GB so you can always add more books and files if you feel like.
- You can play mp3 music files while reading; great idea for anybody who e.g. learns a foreign language or likes some music illustrating the text.
- TTS ( TEXT-TO-SPEECH) function available
- The battery is replaceable (not every ereader features such batteries) and it loads very quickly (three hours are enough).
What I didn’t like:
- if you lose your stylus you will have some troubles operating the device. I wonder whether it can be bought separately…
- all reading process is plain and controlling is limited to pages turning forward and backward; any other activity demands menu pressing and choosing appropriate action by stylus or silver inner circle control button. It might be a drag.
- ONYX BOOX easily transforms itself from the sleep mode to ready-to-use by light pressing OK button. Too easily sometimes. Another reason why I never take it out of its case.
- you cannot currently export any annotations or notes which is a pity
- the battery life is definitely shorter than stated by the producer. Several months? You must be kidding! Rather several days of intensive usage (roughly 48 hours or so) or several weeks of less intensive reading!
- The WiFi connection works well only when the battery if fully loaded. Otherwise forget about any Internet surfing or downloading books!
- To listen to music you must have your own headphones – would it actually kill the producer to include a pair of these?
- So far TTS hasn’t worked for one single file…I wonder why?
- You can actually overload the battery so forget about leaving your ereader connected the whole night to the power point…
Final verdict:
I don’t regret buying it – now reading e-books became easier, faster and definitely a more exciting experience. There are several flaws, especially those connected with the battery life, which I would like to see removed.
What do you think, guys? Bad choice, good choice? It is my first ereader so I can't compare it to anything else.


Cool :) I so want a bebook cos I like the library one but they are SOOOO expensive.
ReplyDeletenever heard of this one though, but then we have like 3 models that are sold in Finland
I like the fact that it is Linux... but then I'm a mac user... ;)
ReplyDeleteThe battery is always stated that way. I think it is only when it is idle and no internet connection. I do have a problem with the overload in the battery department. You may eventually have to invest in another one down the road. It does look like a great ereader! It seems to have a lot of options many out there lack.
Congrats!!
Blodeuedd this one has been introduced to the Polish market quite recently so maybe it will be launched in Scandinavia too.
ReplyDeleteMelissa I had some problems with the e-books in .lit format (those require Microsoft Reader and of course they weren't compatible)but I found a free software on the Internet that allows me a more or less easy conversion to PDF. I would love to have a Mac but these are too expensive for me. And yes, I might think about changing the battery rather sooner than later.
Nice. I like the cover. I need one for my ereader, I have the ipad. It's okay, but it does make your eyes tired too. So that might just be an ereader thing, although my sister said the Kindle doesn't. So go figure. I think you will find out if you like after you've had it for awhile, by the end of the year, you will either love it or hate it. You should do another review near New Years Eve. That would be interesting.
ReplyDeleteHope you enjoy your new ereader. Now you can download lots of books, easier and quicker.
I'm not sure if this will work for your device, but you might also want to check out http://calibre-ebook.com/ It is free and I use it. There is a microsoft version there.
ReplyDeleteLena thanks for a very good tip - I think after some months I will reassess my ereader.
ReplyDeleteMelissa I will try it out, thanks for the link!
What about the cost of e-books - how do they compare?
ReplyDeleteIn some ways I'm tempted to get an e-reader of some kind - mainly because of the lack of space for many more books. But I can buy secondhand books for a couple of pounds, or borrow many of them from the library for free.
I'll think about it.
The cost of e-books at my place is definitely lower than that of normal paper books. It was one of the reasons why I decided to buy the device. On the other hand secondhand books, although undoubtedly cheap as well, must be stored somewhere and I am running out of storage place.
ReplyDelete