This meme is hosted by Diane at Bibliophile-by-the-Sea
Encouraged by my friend Tracy's excellent blog I decided to try a new meme which is a variant of teasing tuesday but with more text.
Would you buy/ borrow/read a novel which starts like this? Would you find such an introduction interesting or rather repulsing? It is the first paragraph from "Wolf Hall" by Hilary Mantel.
Cover of Wolf Hall‘So now get up.’
Felled, dazed, silent, he has fallen; knocked full length on the cobbles of the yard. His head turns sideways; his eyes are turned towards the gate, as if someone might arrive to help him out. One blow, properly placed, could kill him now.
Blood from the gash on his head – which was his father's first effort – is trickling across his face. Add to this, his left eye is blinded; but if he squints sideways, with his right eye he can see that the stitching of his father's boot is unravelling. The twine has sprung clear of the leather, and a hard knot in it has caught his eyebrow and opened another cut.
‘So now get up!’ Walter is roaring down at him, working out where to kick him next. He lifts his head an inch or two, and moves forward, on his belly, trying to do it without exposing his hands, on which Walter enjoys stamping. ‘What are you, an eel?’ his parent asks. He trots backwards, gathers pace, and aims another kick.
Quite impressive bit of child abuse, don't you think? I know it is more than one paragraph but I couldn't restrain myself. What a start of a career...




gezzzzz.....that's terrible. I do have this book on my Kindle but haven't read it. I'm guessing that it does get much better??
ReplyDeleteI thought it was a serious attention grabber. I did not expect a childhood like that from the character described.
ReplyDeleteDiane, I am happy to tell you it does get better but it explains a lot about Thomas.
ReplyDeleteThe Red Witch - hear, hear! I was riveted instantly because it was so surprising!
Well, certainly not a book I would enjoy. But I usually don't read excerpts either, that is only teasing my self if I like it, and want to read the whole book immediately ;)
ReplyDeleteWow! That intro without doubt makes one take notice! I would want to keep reading just to see if Walter gets his comeuppance!
ReplyDeletehttp://butterybooks.com/?p=44974
I started this book, but got distracted by another one and need to get back to it.
ReplyDeleteAurian - some excerpts are good, they show whether the narration style suits you! Thanks for a visit anyway!
ReplyDeleteAnnie - I am glued to this book right now so I understand. The narration is not linear though.
Nise' - it happens to me sometimes too. Some books are like pincers - they never let you go until you are done.
I liked this one, but it took so long to read it
ReplyDeleteYes, it is one big fat book. It's like a whirlwind. Do not expect a review any time soon.
ReplyDeleteI'm curious as to what you think of it. I've seen so many mixed reviews on this one.
ReplyDeleteI love this book! And that intro certainly grabs your attention - but rest assured, it's not usually that violent in the rest of the book. This one is incredible - a whole new slant on the court intrigues surrounding Henry VIII - Wolf Hall indeed!
ReplyDeleteAnd the sequel is apparently out next May.
@ Tracy - There will be a sequel? Great to know! I am not even in the middle but I see it is a completely original slant!
ReplyDeleteMelissa - perhaps next week I will be able to write something readable.
Sometimes I feel super demented that an opening like that would make me want to buy a book. I'm intrigued by crazy people. I'm sure this reflects bad on me somehow, but I choose not to delve into it. LOL!
ReplyDeleteJen I sometimes feel exactly the same! Are we twins separated by birth?
ReplyDelete