| Cover (Photo credit: Wikipedia) |
Form: pdf format
Genre: YA dystopia/thriller
Target audience: fans of Japanese culture and dystopia but definitely older YA and adults
Synopsis:
Welcome to a dystopian East Asian country (like
Japan but larger) where people live happily and peacefully under the watchful
eye of your average, sadistic Dictator. In order to keep things straight under
control once a year a class of 15-year-old junior high kids is sent to an
enclosed location. The kids are given different weapons at random, weapons as
different as an Uzi is different from an ice pick or a crossbow from a fork, a
day pack with a bottle of water and they are told to go and kill each other.
The last survivor wins. It is called the Program. If it serves a purpose nobody
knows what purpose exactly.
In order to ensure there is no cheating (you
know those pesky teens, they always cheat) each of the students is fitted with
a nice shiny collar which allows the organizers to check their condition, track them and listen to their
conversations. The collar has also an in-built explosive device. No deaths for
longer than 24 hours? All participants are eliminated. More than one survivor?
All the rest is eliminated as well. Trying to hide somewhere for too long or
trying to run away? The same outcome – you are blown up to smithereens.
You follow 42 students – the newest batch of
victims – who have to participate in the Program. Who will win this time:
energetic Yukie, the class Representative, selfish and manipulative Mitsuke,
acting as if she was a female Yakuza mobster, mysterious Kazuo, a boy so gifted
and so calm that he is followed and admired even by thugs, Noriko, just your
ordinary, averagely pretty girl, or maybe Shuya, a kind orphan boy who likes
those forbidden rock and roll songs and plays the electric guitar? Or maybe
somebody else? Can anybody truly be a winner in such circumstances?
What I liked:
There were many stories included in one bigger
story and I found them the best part of
this book. More than dozen of students were given an opportunity to tell
you about their hopes and fears. Because of that they became real, three-dimensional
characters, not just a shooting range dummies. It was really the "good stuff" for
me - watching all the little petty relationships, conflicts and problems you
have when you are 15 suddenly twisted horribly by the extreme fear of knowing
only one person will be allowed to live and your classmates and friends have to
become your deadly enemies.
Of course there
was violence, quite a lot of it, but I would compare it to one of these cheesy
movies of Tarantino - you are disgusted, you know it is bad but you still want
to watch. Indeed it might be treated as great entertainment only by people with
a tolerance for high amounts of guts-and-gore, but, as it was also a really
well-done study of the psychology of extreme fear and included some insights
about totalitarianism as well somehow I
managed to survive. The personal stories, often told in an almost poetic way,
stop Battle Royale from spiraling into a mindless bloodbath.
What I didn’t like:
First let me tell you that the first 50-60 pages
were downright boring. Then the action accelerated and here I hit another snag
- Battle
Royale was a lot more graphic than I'd imagined. So
instead of puking up the contents of my stomach, after a while I just skipped the paragraphs
describing blood and bashed-in brains. In fact from
time to time the plot was so childish that it reminded me those computer games
when you kill and kill and kill and finally you forget about the reason why you
keep doing it because it doesn’t matter as long as the next opponent lies,
neutralized, in a puddle of blood. Frankly the detailed descriptions of different
violent deaths were horribly ridiculous.
| Shuya Nanahara as he appears in the manga. (Photo credit: Wikipedia) |
What’s more
even from the first chapter the plot was rather obvious – you could guess with
a high success rate who would be killed and how soon. The style of the narrative I also found a
bit uneven, or maybe it was the problem with the translation, I really can’t
tell. Anyway the descriptions were very anime, which makes me think that
if the writing had been really beautiful, or if any of the emotions had been
deeper, I may have liked this book a lot better.
Finally the
ending…I must say I was completely disappointed by it. It was a ridiculous and
artificial construction of a plot-twist after a plot-twist (so you thought they
were really dead?! No! They are alive! No, wait, they are going to be dead
soon...or maybe not?). I was not amused.
Final verdict:
Personally I
liked this novel despite its many flaws but in my view it is not perfect and
certainly not for everybody. Still cult novels (yes, it is one of them) are so hard to resist so how to
tell whether or not it is your next best thing? Well, if you salivate at the
mere thought of a book which combines Manga and Anime poesy, Hunger Games-style
action, Lord of the Flies political undercurrents and an amount of atrocities
straight from Quentin Tarantino movies this might be a perfect read for you. Do
not read it if you are feeling nauseous even after my quite innocuous synopsis. Helpful? I
hope so.




I actually have this book... somewhere. I bought it YEARS ago, but I never got around to reading it. Someday.
ReplyDeleteWatch the movie if you don't feel like reading.
ReplyDelete